twitter

Sunday, January 20, 2013

My NUS journey

I woke up early to the sound of the pouring rain . It was 7 am in the morning , and I was supposed to have breakfast provided by the compulsory meal plan here . The night before , after I have come to terms with my home sickness , I have decided to wake up early today and have the breakfast . But , it was raining . So , I did what most average people in their right mind would do : Go back to sleep . 

***

The next time I woke up , it's already 12 pm . It's amazing how fast time could pass by when you sleep . It's almost like a time-travelling tool , to the future . Just one nap and bang , 5 hours gone , just like that ! I raised the curtain up the window and looked outside .

The view from my window.
The view across my window is yet another condominium-like hostel , complete with balcony that was filled with a barbell set , a coffee table and other miscellaneous equipment . This wasn't the standard of living you would expect an university student would have , though my friends told me that it might be a professor's house or a married couple's apartment .Such is the luxury of accommodation that they offer here.  Of course , the price does not come cheap . I am staying in a single bedroom apartment that costs around $500 per month .. in that respect , one can only imagine what would the cost of the apartment , fully furnished , and come equipped with balcony would be . * $hudder$*

Since it was a weekend , and I haven't officially started my schooling term yet , I decided to explore nus by walking around the campus .The love of walking and exploring new places was ingrained in me since young . Since walking is the  most ancient means of transportation from one place to another , and also since it's the most cost effective one ( i.e FREE ) , I love it . It would be the best way to explore and get to know every nook and cranny of NUS. Though , life seems to always has a way of messing up with my schedules , and this time it did it by raining , again . Still I was obstinately persistent . So, I went out , with an umbrella and still by walking . 

Inevitably , the atmosphere was anything but comfortable , walking on a rainy day on a muddy road , where splashes of waters bouncing off the floor would hit your leg as you walk . In retrospect , it was my fault because I was wearing a short pants with a slipper rather than long pants and covered shoes . Oh well ...

***
Anyhow , here's a summary of what I have found out in NUS after a 2 days of exploring it.

First thing's first . Singapore is a super modern country . Seriously , the technology that the normal people are using here is way more advanced in Malaysia . However,  I got no complaints for that because it made my life a whole lot easier and convenient . 
Tap the room card to the little sensor device below the door knob to open your doors .  It's time to throw away your keys people !


 From top to bottom : Room Card , Student Card , Bus Card
Case in point : Access to nearly every facilities here is granted by using a card . Here , I don't even have to bring any keys out because the cards act as key to everything . You want to borrow a book in library ? Use the card . Want to get some food in the dining hall , use the card . Want to go in your room ? Use the card . In fact , this room door key replacement concept is so abstract to me that I have no idea how to go in my room the first time !







Next, the lighting system in my residential colleges uses a smart motion sensor to detect any movements of people. It will only light up if there are people nearby , otherwise it will always be switched off . Cool huh ?








Also , they have a vending machine for nearly everything that you could think of . Even electricity !


The Central Library .

Photo credit to Soon Vin
Equipped with nice , soft-tone lighting and state of the art facilities . This library in NUS here looks and feels comfortable . They provide a lot of books here ( obviously , duh ! ) as well as study rooms and computers with internet access . Kind of the same with the one in my home university , except that it just looks so much nicer and modern .




Photo Credit to Soon Vin.
I was amazed that even a non- graduating exchange student like me could borrow up to 20 books . And there's quite great amount of fictions , academics and non-fictions book which can never be found in my home university library I guess . I borrowed Steve Job's biography by Walter Isaacson ! :D






One of the convenient tool here is this Library Book Drop point . You can find this book drop point available in many place strategically placed around the campus as to ease the return of a borrowed library book . All you have to do is just place the books that you wanted to return to the nearest Book Drop point near you and that's it ! You don't have to purposely go to the Central Library every time to return books . Convenient huh ?








Food
Another thing I notice here is it will be hard to find any traditional hawker centers ( imagine sitting nearby a tree , in an open air environment, without the comfort of air-cond , replaced instead by only the breeze of natural wind , waiting for your hot steaming meals to be served by the waiter ) . In Singapore, they are increasingly being replaced by food courts, which are indoor, air conditioned versions of hawker centres located in shopping malls and other commercial venues. In NUS , you don't have to worry about food as there are many choices of food ranging from Western, Chinese , Indian, Japanese , Vietnamese , Korean , Japanese and many more type of cuisines . 

My Hostel's Dining Hall . 
I was lucky that the Residential College that I stayed in provide a compulsory meal plan that gives me the choice of meal between Western , Chinese , Muslim and Indian cuisines . Oh , these set meals also come with free flow of mango juices , coffee , milo or just plain water too ! :D And did I mention that the meals are quite nutritionally balanced too ? They provide the caloric values and other nutritional information of the meal for those who are more health conscious . Amazing . 



In the case that you get tired of eating the normal food over and over again , and you happen to have a bit more spending power , go ahead and indulge in Starbucks , Sakae Sushi , and many more restaurants and cafes which are conveniently located IN my residential college . Seriously , they are all just a stone's throw away from where I stay . Sometimes , it made me wonder if I am really in an university campus or a mall .

Transportation
The transport system in NUS is infinitely more efficient than that of my home universities . The bus comes on time and at a commendable frequency of every 10 minutes during schooling days . There's a MRT station inside NUS too so you could get outside through the MRT . ( MRT connects to nearly every places in Singapore ) . Then , there's still buses and taxi . Even if everything else fails , there's always your reliable legs to depend on :) 


*PS Thank you very much , Sheng Di for being my tour guide in nus , and for accompanying me despite the rain . ( P.s never knew you read my blog too lol . Hope you see this ! Haha ) Having a presence of a familiar Malaysian friend certainly did ease my home sickness more :) * 


That's all for now folks , there will be more to come in the future , hopefully ! :)

4 comments:

WeiShze said...

Hi Mr tour guide.
No yes/no, u must be my tour guide when I'm there XP

Alex said...

Too bad I'm no longer in NUS.
But just so you know, there's tons of Malaysians over there.
You should get in touch with them if only just to make new friends. :)

Anonymous said...


This site really has all of the information and facts I needed about this subject and didn’t know who to ask.

=ʑɛɳ9night= said...

Alex : omg ALEX ! How long has it been since I last saw you ! haha you are Alex Koay right? omg lol . Haha

= Nuffnang =